Sunday 2 March 2014

BLOOD AND THE NATION.


There I was standing with my iron box being dropped at school by my parents. That was my first day as a boarding student at Federal Government Girls College Bauchi. I remember I was so young, naïve and scared to be left alone. I was all so teary to see my parents walk out of the school gate. I stood all alone and felt all alone. I was unsure of what laid before me. I was so scared of the unknown.


Now, over fifteen years later, as I heard the news of those students burnt to death and some slain at night at FGC Yobe on 25th February, 2014, my heart bled. I remember the young me back then and I felt the fear and agony on the faces of these young children especially those in JSS 1 as they were surrounded by those mean looking men. I can hear the voices of these young ones in my head crying and calling for their parents. I can hear a tiny, scared voice saying “Mummy am scared”. I can imagine the trauma those of them that survived the attack and the family of those that lost their lives are going to have to live with for the rest of their lives; their lives will never be the same again. 

ask myself, what was their crime? Is it being a Nigerian child who has made a choice to go to school, or is it being a Nigerian child going to school in the north? What have they done to deserve this? What this massacre and many like this in the past seek to achieve? Why were the military men at the checkpoint near the school withdrawn barely 24 hours before the attack? How can something of this nature happen for 5 hour without any security operative(s) to the rescue? All these question play around in my head and I wonder, is this nation beyond redemption?


What pains me most as I write this amidst tears, is the fact that amidst all the massacre going on for days including the school attack (even on the day of the celebration), the nation goes about celebrating, throwing fireworks and popping champagne when the ashes and bodies of these innocent children and others who were murdered was still fresh. What the nation did was just like spitting on the grave of these people especially the children whom the government failed to protect. The action of the nation was unacceptable and cruel on our existence as a nation.

Even though nothing can be done to bring back the students and many who lost their lives during the massacre days prior and even on the day of  the centenary celebrationto the loving arms of their loved ones, we could have at least soothe the agony of their families by marking the centenary in a sober way. They had dreams and high hopes for the future but all was cut short.

What is a nation without peace? I weep for a country I love but which is being destroyed by some selfish few!!!.

No comments:

Post a Comment